Friday, November 04, 2005

PREPARING FOR SURGERY

The doctors decided not to extabate Maxwell this week so that he can rest up for his surgery. With the help of morphine and adavan, he is comfortable and not fighting the ventilator. It was a tough choice...I wanted him to be extabated for his own comfort (and for mine) but we didn't want to risk anything going wrong (i.e. a Max "episode") and have to delay his surgery.

He is gaining weight, but unfortunately he has also been retaining a lot of fluids too. His face the other day was so swollen he could barely open one of his eyes. The predicament is that he can not be retaining fluids before surgery (because they will be pumping him up with additional fluids during surgery)...but the lasix (which is the best diuretic) can add to the calcification of his kidneys. We had stopped using that drug a month ago when they found the kidneys were really taking a hit from it. So right now we are using small doses just to help Max eliminate better.

The surgery is still planned for Tuesday. I met with the cardiac surgeon yesterday and he reviewed the surgery in detail, as well as any possible risks and complications.

He will go in at 7 a.m. and the surgery will probably begin around 9 a.m. There are approximately 2 hours of "set up" with the anesthesia team, as well as getting Max set up on his lung and heart bypass machine. Basically they stop the heart with the help of medicines and must drain the blood from the organ. Meanwhile they connect his body to the bypass machine which will move the blood and oxygen throughout.

As far as the risks, he was a little more optimistic about the outcome than I have been told by my cardiologists which was good to hear. The weeks following the surgery will be very important because that is when complications (if any) would arise. I feel very confident that everything is going to go very smoothly.

I am worried right now about Max staying healthy for Tuesday. I had to head home last night because I caught a bug (fever, sore throat, etc.)...and obviously it's not a good place for a sick person to be with the cardiac ICU patients. As soon as I started feeling bad, I wore a mask but I was still worried about spreading germs so I finally decided to leave. It was really horrible to leave Mr. Max...but today I feel even worse, so it's a good thing I left when I did. The nurses have promised to give him lots of extra TLC in my absence.

6 comments:

Sara B said...

Hey Lady-
It was SO good to see you last night.I've missed you! Get better soon!! But if you need someone else to hang with, to share your misery...let me know, I'm still sick too! ugh!
Sara

Anara said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you caught a bug, I hope you are feeling better very soon!!! I'm sure it's really difficult to be a way from Max. You take a little time for your self and get healthy so you can go back to be with Max.
You and Max are always in my thoughts and prayers. Love you two!!!!
Anara

Steph said...

Hey there...oh I was really hoping they would extabate Max for both of your sakes! Glad to hear that the surgeon was more optimistic than others.

Big bummer that you caught a bug...take good care of yourself, k? As my mom would tell you 100 times over, stay hydrated!

Love you both, and am hoping for surgery to happen on Tuesday and for it to go smoothly...xoxo Steph

ICU STAFF OVMC said...

Amy and Max We are hoping and praying for the best for you and Max.

Meredith said...

Hi, Amy:

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well...what a time to get sick! Hope you feel better soon so you can get back to your little guy. We are thinking about Max everyday and hoping for the best on Tuesday.

Love to you both --
Meredith, David, and Davey

rebecca said...

Hope your feeling better - this bug seems to be going around! You guys will be in my thoughts tomorrow.

Rebecca