Sunday, April 16, 2006

DIFFICULT DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT

Our recent doctor's visit was quite difficult...not just medically (the "head shape" issue and possible seizures) but emotionally.

This appointment was Max's nine month well visit, and the receptionist gave me a "developmental checklist" to fill out about Maxwell. As soon as I took it, I knew this was going to be challenging to complete. Do I really want to point out every single one of Max's delays? Do I need to be reminded just how far delayed he is? Do I want to know all the things he is supposed to be doing? Nope. Nope. Nope. But I thought well they told me to complete it, so I will.

So I am filling that out and a nurse comes in. Our primary nurse was not there yet, so this nurse was getting us started. (Our nurse that we see every week is absolutely wonderful and adores Maxwell...and the feeling is mutual!) Well this nurse was perfectly nice but apparently she had not reviewed Max's file before she came in....which was quite frustrating. I was already emotional because I was responding "no" to nearly every question in the developmental checklist. But then she started asking me questions as though Max was the normal run of the mill healthy child..."am I still breastfeeding, how many times a day does he eat," etc. Then she was asking if I had any concerns with Maxwell. ANY CONCERNS? When is there not a concern with Maxwell???

My eyes were tearing up but I didn't want to lose it...so I was really trying to keep it together and just give simple answers to these very random questions. Fortunately our primary nurse came in right at that moment...and she was soooo wonderful about it all. She immediately took the form from me and said not to worry about filling that out and then gave me a big hug. She proceeded to give me a pep talk about the job I am doing as Max's mother and that Max will achieve 100% of his potential with me by his side. What I loved about that was she didn't fake it and say, "oh Max will be great...don't worry." No, she was honest and said it perfectly..."Max will reach 100% of HIS potential" and that is all we can ask for.

2 comments:

Drew said...

Amy,

Max IS doing great! He's just following his own schedule. You are a fantastic Mom and I'm glad you have that wonderful nurse that recognizes it. We miss you guys!

Love,
Drew

Menjiness said...

I love that nurse. Good for her. You are doing such a great job, keep your chin up and know that there are many more people then you could possibly even know or understand that we are all praying, rooting and cherring Max on!

Desiree in CA.