Saturday, December 24, 2005

MORE TV COVERAGE

Yet another Seattle TV station came to capture Max's miraculous story last night...and the newspaper is doing a feature next week! AND one of Max's fans thinks the whole story (from the tumultous divorce earlier this year to Max's genetic disorder to finally coming home) would be perfect for Dr. Phil...so she is contacting him to pitch the story. (I love Dr. Phil, so I think that would be great!!!)

My thoughts are the more we can publicize children with special needs, the better. I want more people to understand what these wonderful and challenged children, like Maxwell, must endure and the incredible lessons they can teach us. The world needs to be more accepting, more loving and more willing to help do whatever possible to make their lives the best they can be. Ok, I'll get off my soap box for now, but just know that you haven't heard the last from me on this issue. Max and I are determined to help the special needs community receive more support...emotionally, mentally, financially, and physically.

I have emphasized to the newspaper that I would rather not focus the entire feature on Max's homecoming (which is of course quite fun but not necessary) but more on CHARGE, Children's Hospital and the special needs community and what we can all do to help. Hopefully the more we talk, the more people will listen.

Below is the link to last night's coverage...enjoy!

'I Got This Little Miracle'
http://www.komotv.com/news/story.asp?id=40941

8 comments:

ang said...

You and your family are an inspiration. I have a friend who in Canada who has a wonderful website on Charge Syndrome. She has a daughter who was born with it in 1998, and her baby is a fighter just like your son. Here is her website:

http://ca.geocities.com/weirfamily@rogers.com/charge.html

Her name is Lisa and she's wonderful, and helpful.

God Bless you and your family

Dennis said...

Amy and Max,
Merry Christmas and God bless you both. My brother sent me the KOMO-TV video and article in my e-mail today. We live in Sioux Falls, SD and my brother lives in Seattle. We have a 22 month old grandson with CHARGE and he, too, is a gift and has done so much already to make us aware of his wonderful spirit and the bonding that has occured in our family. After reading your posts it's quite obvious that Max was given a wonderful mother and family. Our daughter-in-law, whose parents live in Redmond, was also chosen along with our son and their two little girls, age 4 and 6, to be Andrew's family. Andrew had choanal atresia of one side and currently has a G-tube and tracheostomy. Their insurance has covered 12 hour/day nursing care. He has had good care locally in SD but for pediatric ENT they have to travel to Cincinnati Chilren's Hosptial, a three hour flight, for his ENT care. He's had several surgeries as well but no significant cardiac problems. He has profound hearing loss in one ear and severe in another so has a hearing aid in one ear. Andrew and parents will go to Cincinnati again in January for an evaluation for possible cochlear implants and when that is accomplished later he hopefully will be able to be decannulated and have the G-tube removed. He is learning sign language and already has several words in his vocabulary.
I write this as a note of encouragement knowing in part what you're are going through. It does get better and you are truly blessed. I'm going to share your blog with Andrew's parents. I'm a physican who graduated from the U. of Washington Medical School and worked at Children's many years ago. My wife was a nurse at Swedish and our first son was born there. My sister lives near Seattle Chilren's Hospital as well.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy 2006 for both you and Max. God bless.

Dennis, Andrew's grandfather

Kerry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kerry said...

Amy - thank you for posting the link to the news story on Max. He is such a cutie pie!!! I am so happy that you have been blessed with Max and that he was able to come home! This Christmas our son & daughter-in-law, as well as the rest of us, are feeling sadness because we should have a new little granddaughter to celebrate. However, she too was born prematurely (25 weeks) and is now with Jesus. To be able, in even a small way, to share in your happiness and in the blessing that is Max, eases the pain just a little bit. Thank you for letting us into your life! God Bless you both. I will continue to pray for Max and you.

Kerry

Olivia said...

Amy,

I read your story on Komo tv 4 news and I am so glad that your son Max is home with you for Christmas. I have two kids of my own and two step daughters. I am a proud mom and I love my kids with all of my heart. Max is such a cute little boy. I wish you and Max the best and a merry christmas. My email address is nmbr1_momof2@hotmail.com. Thank you for sharing your story.

Olivia Sallows

Dylan (and Kristy) said...

Hi Amy and Max,

We wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. Dylan is still VERY excited to see his friend home.

Love,

Ray, Kristy, and Dylan

mess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mess said...

I found your site through KOMO's story on Max.

What a beautiful boy and a wonderful Christmas present! Congrats to you all and a big "YAY!" to Max. As I was reading through your blog I was mostly in tears. What a special little boy and how blessed you must be to have him.

Thank you so much for sharing his story! It has touched me deeply. Love and prayers to you all and wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Mess